Indocin is a general pain and inflammation relief drug, which is commonly used to treat moderate to severe pain: back ache and pain, headache, muscle pain or sprains, pain from bone fractures or damage, tooth pain, and menstrual pains; Indocin effectively reduces the severity of acute symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and osteoarthritis symptoms: pain, tenderness, swelling, and stiffness. Less frequently, Indocin might also be used to treat shoulder pain caused by bursitis (inflammation of joint tissues) and tendonitis (inflammation of tendons – tissues that connect muscles to bones).
Indocin relies to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) class. It operates by blocking the production of certain hormones within the body that incite inflammation and pain.
The manufacturer of Indocin provides several solutions for it to be taken. The most common forms are:
- Capsule (instant release or extended release) – the instant release capsules are good for relieving acute muscle pain, headache, or any other short lasting condition. Extended release capsules are the choice for arthritis patients who require constant pain and inflammation relief;
- Suspension liquid – for people with stomach or digestive problems, a suspension can provide the same results irritating the inlay of the stomach;
- Suppository – if an oral Indocin intake may prove hazardous, suppository is often prescribed. By far, it is the safest way of taking Indocin, although the least easy to take.
Capsules and liquid suspension are taken orally, 2 to 4 times per day, as per the required dosage. Extender release capsules are only taken once daily. Suppository is taken rectally, usually 2 to 4 times a day. Depending of your health condition, the form in which you should take Indocin may vary. Consult your doctor to determine which form will be best suited in your situation.
The capsules should be taken with a glass of water before or after a meal, to prevent stomach upset. Do not chew, break, or otherwise divide the capsule – you should swallow it whole. If you buy Indocin online, make sure you choose the right dosage per capsule. In case of liquid suspension and suppository, carefully follow the instructions provided with the medication (on the instructions sheet).
Before you choose to buy Indocin online and begin taking it, you should contact your medical healthcare provider, and determine if it is safe (or effective) to take Indocin in your condition. Otherwise, be especially careful when taking Indocin if you have any of the following:
- Allergies to indomethacin, aspirin or other NSAIDs such as ibuprofen;
- Asthma, and if you have frequent stuffed or runny nose;
- A history of heart attack, stroke, or blood clot;
- A seizure disorder such as epilepsy;
- Liver or kidney disease,
- Heart disease, high blood pressure;
- Constant depression or mental illness;
- Pregnancy, or if you plan on becoming pregnant.
Be sure to mention if you have or ever had any of the conditions listed above to your doctor. Also, tell him what prescription and nonprescription medications, nutritional supplements, vitamins, or herbal products you are taking. Make the list as detailed as possible, it may help the doctor determine whether it is safe for you to take Indocin.